Monday, October 17, 2011

A Clutterless World

People seem cluttered today. They seem distracted, confused and devoid of direction. They look adrift in a current that is too strong for them to fight against, so strong that they have neither the will nor care to even try to struggle against the directionlessness. Do most people still devote all of their focus and energy into individual tasks, or are they too engrossed in multitudes of meaningless distractions? Do people still sit down face to face and have long, meaningful, serious discussions? There must have been a time when this was so, when people had the will power to achieve great things, and achieve things greatly, or else incredible works of literature would not have been written and revolutions would never have occurred, and all of the great philosophies we have been studying would never have been thought up.

I have a vision of a utopia. In it, all clutter has been removed from the individual consciousness and humanity’s collective unconscious. People are, not merely satisfied, but happy with the necessities of life: food, clothes, water. Gone are the days of ipods, cell phones, Facebook, mass media, mass production and all material distractions. Capitalism comes crashing to its knees because companies can no longer force the false sense of need into our heads. Money is no longer a concept, as people have realized that the necessities are easily and sustainably produced from the earth. Oil ceases to be considered a resource because simple agriculture and water filtration do not require thousands of acres of land to be tilled with tractors, nor underground aquifers to be pumped dry. Violence no longer exists, as there are no inequities in need of balance; everybody lives simply and has their needs met equally through sustainable means. People have a mutual respect and love for one another, and an even greater love and respect for Earth, upon whose body they live and find sustenance.

My utopia is not attainable through policy change, changing economic systems, or any alterations on a grand societal scale. It is an evolution of consciousness. It is an individual’s realization that these things are all arbitrarily placed upon us and that they are not necessary to one’s happiness or existence. I have termed the process of coming to this realization “decluttering”, because it involves simplifying every aspect of one’s life, and removing unnecessary distractions, or clutter. Over the past few months, I have been undergoing this process of decluttering.

I started with my dietary habits. There are so many things citizens of industrialized nations like the United States consume that are unnecessary and downright unhealthy. I no longer drink sodas or most juices, as they have no nutritional substance and are filled with unnatural flavorings, colorings and chemicals. Fast food is gone from my menu, along with most saturated fat and all assortments of grease-laden food (except for an occasional desert). I feel much more energetic and aware than I did a few months ago.

Next was my bedroom. I have removed most physical clutter, and now the only things in my room are a small desk, two guitars, a mandolin, a keyboard, and a small selection of important books. I have also painted the walls a very mellow, calm, khaki color. My room now feels very peaceful, and as a result I have been sleeping less fitfully and falling asleep faster than ever before.

Everything else is still a work in progress. I am selling my Mac laptop for something with less frills, bells, and whistles. I am giving my smartphone to my sister in exchange for her more simplistic phone, and I recently decided it was rather “clutterful” to listen to music while I walk from class to class. I feel great. I feel focused, and I feel one step closer to my own personal utopia. I hope that other people may feel the same as I. I would like my utopia to, one day, extend beyond myself, and be a part of someone else’s.

5 comments:

  1. Alex I have to say that this writing is inspirational and allows you to realize the world for what it really is. I do believe that people are too into their technological advances in phones, music, and in gathering information. I like how you specify in the different items in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do most people still devote all of their focus and energy into individual tasks, or are they too engrossed in multitudes of meaningless distractions?


    I really liked this statement, I feel like this describes numerous individuals. At times i find myself doing anything possible to avoid finishing tasks. other times I find myself trying to meet deadline, finishing task and realizing that almost every hour of my day is planed.
    I really enjoyed your idea of a "Utopia" a place where a person could simple happy not not merely satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, you do have a wonderful style of prose, my man. :)

    I also quite agree with the vast majority of your paper. There is a large amount of, at least, the developed world, which seems to be, "adrift in this current" you talk about.

    However, I also feel that you are perhaps not stopping and thinking through your "decluttering" process as much as you might think you are. True, there are lots of meaningless distractions, and a lot of things which are quite horrible that exist in modern society. But there is a good to all this too. We have revolutioned medicine in the past 50 years to something unrecognizable to anyone living in the 19th century. There are interracial couples living together, there is the beginnings of acceptance for homosexual couples, there is the beginnings of comprehension for Islam and other religions that people, even 10 years ago, looked at with a single view-point. There is hope.

    But yes, I do also acknowledge that there is also despair. And laziness, indifference, and apathy. But these things are connected.

    I feel that you need to appreciate more what we have, and try to understand it in context, before you immediately reject all that is available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jordan, I feel as if you may have misunderstood me. I have a problem with things that are not necessities, and serve no purpose other than distraction. That does not encompass modern medicine. Health is a necessity, and in my little imaginary utopia, I would have no problem with modern medicine. As for the acceptance of homosexuality and tolerance for other religions, I see nothing within what I wrote that would exclude those things.
    I do not wish for a regression; quite the opposite, in fact. My point is that I wish to learn, and wish for others to learn, to be able to achieve happiness without anything other than life. I feel as if people rely on material to keep them entertained and happy, and would like to see people understand happiness as a mental state that is achievable through nothing more than one's self.
    Furthermore, I just felt it worth noting that I do not wish this utopia upon others: it is a world I would like to live in, not a world I would like to create. It is too idealistic to ever work, and before long I'm sure we would have the same systems in place that we do now. Nietzsche is too correct: people want power, and until we no longer have the desire for control, this utopia will remain nothing more than a fanciful thought deep in the lobes of my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex- I admire your drive to simplify your life. I, too, agree that technology and our tendency to multi-task has driven us away from actual efficiency and cause this "clutter" in our life that eventually hinders most of what we aspire to become. However, I think that as human beings, we strive for complexity and understanding more and more about our environment. Sadly, I feel like most of the people in this world would be unwilling to be as proactive in de-cluttering their lives as you are. So the question is now, how can we promote this simplification and progress with technology at the same time? I know that these two are virtually polar opposites, but if there is somehow a way to do this, then that would be the most magnificent thing ever. As a fan of science, I would hate to see the wonderful discoveries we have made completely vanish. However, your Utopia truly sounds like a perfect place to live in. What a dilemna!

    ReplyDelete